- THE MAGAZINE
- CONSUMER INSIGHT
- PRODUCT PACKAGING
- DESIGN GALLERY
Consumer Insight - April 2013
Personal Care & Beauty
What it comes in
How brands should package it
Why it still matters
- Brand identifier: helps consumers quickly identify the section on shelf of their favourite brand (particularly for grab-and-go shoppers)
- Creates a shopper moment for first-time buyers
- Enables accurate delivery/use/application of the product to encourage repeat purchase
- Communicates brand ethical values
- Serves as advertisement of the brand within user peer group (either in on-the-go use or on display in the home)
What brands can do!
Packaging needs to become more engaging than it currently is to stand out and drive interest. More can be made of using packaging to enhance brand experience, either by interaction with the brand after purchase or by being more attractive on shelf.
Packaging manufacturers could make more of augmented reality technology. Packaging manufacturers could use such technology to expose buyers to tips or promotional offers.
Scent-emitting bottles or those that use scratch-and-sniff technologies could enable people to smell what is inside the product without needing to open it, therefore preserving the quality of the product for longer by keeping it airtight.
Environmentally friendly packaging is one aspect of leveraging packaging for a brand’s ethical positioning.